“The overall goal of the DESD is to integrate the principles, values, and practices of sustainable development into all aspects of education and learning. This educational effort will encourage changes in behaviour that will create a more sustainable future in terms of environmental integrity, economic viability, and a just society for present and future generations.”
The UN defines its vision and definition of ESD as:
- respect, value and preserve the achievements of the past;
- appreciate the wonders and the peoples of the Earth;
- live in a world where all people have sufficient food for a healthy and productive life;
- assess, care for and restore the state of our Planet;
- create and enjoy a better, safer, more just world;
- be caring citizens who exercise their rights and responsibilities locally, nationally and globally.
On this page you will also find a series of questions that the UN is inviting every global citizen to complete and return to them. As an educator this would be a fascinating exercise to undertake with classes of all ages. The questions will require some research and some thinking time and will engage your students to understand further what Education for Sustainable Development means for them and for the planet as a whole.